Thursday, December 3, 2009

Music Autobiography

This is a very challenging post for me to write because I really enjoy a variety of music, but I am not particularly knowledgeable about elements of music and what makes a certain genre. This is has been and remains to be a point of embarrassment in my life...but I will do my best to describe myself using music.

Bands/Artists I enjoy:
Jason Mraz (also with Bushwalla)
Lily Allen
Beyonce
Dan Wilson
Jack Johnson
Regina Spektor
India.Arie
M.I.A
Sia
Justin Timberlake
Julia Nunes
Citizen Cope
Cake
Ani DiFranco

Main things I look for in music:
  • Lyrics: I like songs with a message, songs that make me think.
  • Dance-ability: I like songs that I can dance to, but only if I'm in a dancing mood...
  • Comical element:I really like songs with sarcastic or humorous lyrics. I think music is a great outlet for comedy.
  • Creativity and originality: I enjoy original lyrics by the artists themselves, people whose creativity and willingness to take risks has gotten them where they are today.
  • A story: I like soundtracks to musicals/broadway shows that tell a story through music.
Given my wide variety of interest in music, I had a really hard time picking one song. So, I have included two. "Free Life" by Dan Wilson and "It's Hard to be a Gangster" by Bushwalla & Jason Mraz.
"Free Life" demonstrates my love of lyrics and songs that make me think. I made a soundtrack/mix CD for a first year experience class I TA-ed in college and this was one of the songs that I included. The song is about how everyone is given a "free life" and it is up to them what they are going to do with it. I really like this song because although some might think it cheesy, I find it to be inspiring. It gives the listener ownership and makes them think about all of the possibilities that life brings.











"It's Hard to be a Gangster" demonstrates creativity, originality and comedy. Jason Mraz is one of my favorite artists and he has done a number of songs with his friend Bushwalla and this is one of their collaborations. It kind of makes fun of people who are trying to be something that they're not and it is done in a humorous way. This song makes me laugh every time I listen to it and to me, that is a sign of a good song!









No comments:

Post a Comment